Today's morning was quite busy, but non productive at the same time. I kept running from patient room to patient room and they were either eating breakfast, getting a bath, just waking up, or just plain refusing to see therapy! This is something you just have to deal with in the acute/hospital setting (Right Traci!) but I was getting nothing done! So, I tagged along with my PT partner and co-treated a few interesting patients with her so I ended up getting to do something! Well about 10:00 we were walking in the hallway on our way to a room when a maintenance person walked past us with a cart of something; I don't know what was on it but it smelled AWFUL! I can't even describe it--it had to be some sort of chemical though because..ugh.. it was just terrible! The room we were going to must have been close to the original site of the chemical because it smelled over there too! I don't know if the smell was getting to me or what but I started getting a headache. I'm pretty used to getting headaches/migraines but they actually seem to be less severe/frequent since I gave up pop/soda on December 26th! Almost 1 Month! YAY Anyway, so I had a headache but wasn't feeling terrible, definitely not enough to make me go lie down or quit working. So, as we were working with a patient I just got really hot in the room and had to excuse myself to try and cool off a bit. That helped a bit and then we went on to another patient. I started feeling kind of funny again and I asked my PT partner if she could take my blood pressure. I know I've told some of you, but I had a few weird fainting type spells when I was on my internship at the Children's Hospital back in November. Nothing every came of the heart tests and they just kind of said to keep an eye on it. My blood pressure was fine, but my CI said I started looking a little pale so I sat down and she got me some graham crackers but I was still feeling really crummy so she said "ok, we're going to the ER". So, the next 4 hours were spent in the ER :( I ended up getting extremely nauseous and was apparently "green" because I didn't even have to tell the doctor and he just said he would get me something for my stomach right away! Anyway, long story short, everything came back fine, just as it did when I had my fainting spells. It's kind of frustrating that it just happens whenever and hopefully we'll figure it out--especially now that I'm officially working and I want to be safe working with patients. Steven came and picked me up and took me home! I took a long nap when I got home (so much for studying) and just kind of chilled out the rest of the night. Sorry for the Debbie Downer of a post but that's what my day was like!
Oh my goodness dear!! You need to tell that body of yours to calm down! And I completely agree with you about the craziness of acute care. Some days you just have bad luck!
ReplyDeleteAww. Sorry to hear about that! How upsetting and scary. Thinking of you!
ReplyDelete