Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 13: Movies and Friendships

After church today, we went to Friday's with another couple from church for lunch. They are in their 60's and have 'taken us in' I guess you could say :). They grew up in the Flanagan area and love to snowmobile so we always have a lot to talk about. After lunch, did a little shopping and then went to see Les Miserables! I was really excited to see it because I love the musical. Steven didn't really know the story line and I don't think was super thrilled to go see it but we decided to go an afternoon show. I had HIGH expectations for it but was left disappointed, primarily with the singing quality. Overall, it was done pretty well I just wanted more from the singing--especially since it is a musical. Steven also thought the singing could have been better but really liked the plot and overall story line.


After the movie got over, we had our 20's and 30's group from church get-together at Pastor's house. We all just hung out, had left over birthday cake and ice cream, and had a little Bible study about the importance of friendship. This really hit home with me as I feel I'm starting this new phase of my life transitioning from the past 2 years of PT school and my wonderful group of girlfriends there to now being back in Peoria where I don't know a lot of people. I am closer to home which means staying connected with some great friends here, but that also means I'm not as close to others. I've met some great new friends through our group at church and hope to have the opportunity with my new job too. :) We also took the time to Skype with Karla who recently moved back to Texas :( It was a great evening with wonderful new friends.







2 comments:

  1. I was debating about seeing Les Mis, but I did read that they music was all sung in studio in 1 take. AKA they didn't use computers or auto-tune or anything so that it could be completely raw. I think I appreciate that about the way they chose to do it, which makes it more like the play, in a way. Maybe if i go into it knowing that, I'll enjoy it. Anyway, thanks for another fun blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard that about the music too and thought it would make it that much better.. and in some instances it really added to the emotion and just 'realness' of it. But at other times (at least for me) I got more focused on the quality of the singing that it distracted me. I still thought it was really good and would recommend seeing it in a theater :)

    ReplyDelete